Tuesday 3 April 2012

DAT201: Artefact: using interventions as a way to spread the magic of friendship

As unconventional as it may seem, interventions are a great way to get the message out there. From urinating on sculptures resembling urinals to wrapping up statues in red tape, the best intervention involves an easily-tangible interactive installation; whilst travelling to Berlin on a field trip to Transmediale 2012, back in February, an interactive installation caught my attention. The 'procrastinating machine', which is just simply a Linux computer that is modified with a script, in which after a period of inactivity, the computer takes over and opens up new tabs in the web browser.




Seeing that it is a perfect opportunity to seize, I got it out of procrastination mode, opened up a new tab in the browser and got on to Equestria Daily, of which is a website of importance to the brony community. Once the computer went back into procrastination mode, more My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic-related websites opened up, tab-by-tab. The intervention was a success. As part of my artefact, I noted that example in the manual, and then suggested others as a way of spreading the message of love and tolerance within a public space.
On another note, whilst I was in the lecture about Anonymous, there were a few fellow bronies on the IRC, which was displayed on the right of the main projected screen. I wonder if they have noticed my little intervention I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts